A starlit sky to gaze at after a hard day of hiking and trekking is what adventurous souls want to do. But the pleasure you can derive from it is doubled when you have a loved one to share the scene. Double person sleeping bags have been manufactured for this very reason. They are the perfect solution for couples who like to do all things together- be it hiking, trekking or camping.
There are several double person sleeping bags designed for couples to snuggle in when out in the open. The double sleeping bags can even be used by two or three kids depending on their size. It can also be used by someone who wants more leg space to wriggle and toss and turn at night.
If you are looking for the best double sleeping bag to take to your camping trips, you came to the right place. We searched high and low for the best ones that are worth the money.
Best Double Sleeping Bags Reviews
Here are the best double sleeping bags you can get today:
- Vango Harmony Double Sleeping Bag
- Andes Alma 400 Double Sleeping Bag
- Coleman Durango Unisex Outdoor Sleeping Bag
- Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag
Check out the features of these products:
Vango Harmony Double Sleeping Bag
It is a norm to classify sleeping bags according to the season they are suitable for. Thus, a season 2 sleeping bag is suitable for both spring and summer. This sleeping bag fits this category.
The Vango Harmony Double Sleeping bag comes in vibrant hues and fabrics that are soft to touch and are comfortable. These squarish and stylish bags are not too expensive and ideal for first-time campers and families who want more space. The bags are lined with 100% polyester with microfiber lining. The filling is evenly distributed to retain the shape and minimize the weight.
- Plush and has a bed-like feel.
- It has a headrest for extra comfort.
- It features an auto lock zip which is also insulated to prevent cold spots and to prevent the bag from opening from outside.
- You get internal pockets to store items of value.
- Compression sack provided for easy transportation.
- Some said it is hard to undo the zippers so that the two sleeping bags will be separated for easier cleaning in the washing machine.
- Offset Double Layer Construction prevents cold spots
- Polair Micro Shell microfibre fabric
- Polair Snug lining is a super soft and cosy fabric
- Zip Guard to prevent snagging
- Double size has plenty of space for two people
Andes Alma 400 Double Sleeping Bag
The Andes Alma 400 3-4 Season Double Camping Sleeping Bag is an all-season companion. It is ideal for camping, hiking travelling and sleepovers. The 190T polyester lining makes the bag durable and provides optimum warmth. The 400 GSM hollow fiber filling keeps the bag lightweight while ensuring that heat is retained within. The 3-4 season rating means even in the frosty winter nights when temperature touches -12, you can sleep like a baby in your cozy sleeping bag.
- A compression sack that ensures that the bag is compact and easy to carry at 20” x 16”.
- It has internal storage pockets for valuables.
- There are three sided zips that allow flexibility and ventilation.
- It offers a lot of comfort, especially during the colder months.
- Heat retention is superb, better than many others out there.
- Some said they don’t like the fabric because they feel like it’s too slippery and tends to slide around.
- High quality Andes Barrel 400 4 season single sleeping bag perfect for camping, festivals, sleepovers, travelling etc
- Size – L: 200cm (79") x W: 90cm (35.5"). Material – Shell: 190T polyester. Lining: 190T polyester. Filling: 400G/M2
- Large hood for extra comfort and warmth. Internal storage pocket for valuables …
Coleman Durango Outdoor Sleeping Bag
Try the Coleman Durango Sleeping Bag for your backpacking trips. This sleeping bag is the best double sleeping bag for backpacking. It is a square sleeping bag which is roomy and provides enough space for movement during sleep. It can be easily stuffed into the accompanying sack and shoved in your backpack. It’s now easy to be cosy on your travails across mountains and valleys with the help of this sleeping bag.
- The synthetic filling ensures that the bag can be easily washed in the machine and it doesn’t lose its loft.
- Thermo lock zips ensure that heat is not lost.
- It offers inner pockets to store valuables
- Can be zipped with identical sleeping bag to form a double sleeping bag.
- Lightweight at 2.8 kg. Easy to take on your backpacking trips.
- It is more expensive than other bags out there.
- Maximum size for taller campers
- Ideal for camping, caravanning or at home
- Colet herm insulation for extra comfort
- Size: 234 x 99 cm
- Comfort levels: -13 to +7 degrees Centigrade
Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag
Other brands will find it hard to compete with the warmth and comfort provided by this product from Ohuhu. It has a comfortable temperature rating of up to 10 degrees Celsius and a limit temperature of up to -5 degrees Celsius, ideal for those fall or winter outdoor camping needs.
The design is practical as there are two sleeping bags hinged together by a zip. If you don’t need the two sleeping bags, you can simply unzip the other one. There are also zips on the side so individual entry is easy.
Incorporated in it is 210T polyester shell that also boasts of a waterproof functionality. No need to worry about moisture getting inside your sleeping bag.
- It offers maximum and superior comfort even in colder seasons. You can easily get comfortable inside it.
- It folds down to a negligible size. It is easy to carry around or stow away in your bag.
- Design-wise, the zip feature really makes this convenient. If you need something to accommodate your individual needs, get this.
- It doesn’t have heat loss. It also comes with pillows.
- Some said this is a bit thinner than what they first expected.
- DUAL USAGE: Acts as a giant sleeping bag that fits two happy campers comfortably, and detachable via zippers to become two individual sleeping bags
- BONUS PILLOWS: Comes with a convenient carrying bag, and two small pillows that gives your neck some good, solid support. This sleeping bag is designed for one couple or family with single young child …
Types of Sleeping Bags
Double sleeping bags come in various shapes and sizes but the most common one is the rectangle shape. There is no single bag for all temperatures and seasons. Hence all sleeping bags are temperature rated. It offers two kinds of temperature levels which are:
Comfort – the temperature where you will feel comfortable
Extreme – the maximum temperature the bag can protect you against and help you survive.
Sleeping bags are rated according to the seasons. Season 1 is ideal for summer camping, season two for late spring to early autumn, season 3 for mild winters and finally season 4 for severe cold. A point to note before we proceed further is that seasons and temperatures vary from country to country. Make sure you are aware of your destination before you buy a double sleeping bag or just look for one you think will accommodate your needs no matter where you are in the world.
Double Mummy Sleeping Bag
The double mummy sleeping bag is designed to be narrower around the shoulder and hips. It contours to your body shape, thereby minimizing heat loss because of its design. It has a hood for each individual. There are side zippers making it convenient for each individual to manage their side of the bag.
This is a great sleeping bag to get if you want to snuggle in with your loved-one. This bag is roomy enough for two people to fit in comfortably and sleep close together. It also provides superior comfort and warmth. The Mummy design ensures that there are no air pockets that will become entry points for cold drafts away. The tapering design minimizes heat loss.
This also has a portable design. There is a stuff sack which makes the bag more manageable during packing and storing, hence easily portable.
On the other hand, these bags can get heavy. Double mummy bags are quite hefty and are not meant for backpacking. Additionally, if you are looking to maximize space, this might not be the best option. Contoured mummy bags reduce the moving space, and when sharing with a partner it can be a tad uncomfortable.
Double Rectangular Sleeping Bag
The double rectangular sleeping bags are squared at the corners and hence have more room for free movement. There is no confining hood at the top, thereby giving you free movement of the neck and head. These bags can easily accommodate even large people (6 feet and above) quite comfortably. They are ideal for summer camping and caravan camping because of their poor heat retention.
One of the biggest upsides to these bags is that they are inexpensive. Since it is the most common and basic design, these bags are relatively cheap. They are also quite roomy. The design provides greater space for free movement. The straight lines ensure that a sleeping pad fits in perfectly and provides more comfort. These bags are easy to roll and store as well.
On the other hand, they might not be the best for freezing conditions. The design might allow air to seep in. They can also get bulky sometimes, which means backpackers might be put off by them.
Why Should You Get a Double Sleeping Bag?
The double sleeping bags are ideal for couples and families travelling with children. These bags are large and provide greater movement than the single sleeping bags. In addition to that, it is easier to carry one sleeping bag in the place of two. It is not only lighter but also consumes less space. When compared to buying two sleeping bags, a double sleeping bag works out cheaper.
Another reason to get this is to bond with your loved-one. Several customers are actually happy that finally they can share the same bag with their loved one just like how they do at home. They feel, especially for couples, that it enhances the romance as they can cuddle together after a long day outdoors.
In addition to the above features, when two people share a bag, it is warmer inside and better to withstand the cold. These bags are more versatile and flexible because of the two-way zips. The double sleeping bags have more insulation on one side which gives the partners the flexibility to choose who wants to sleep warmer and who doesn’t.
On the other hand, these bags tend to be bulky, which means they are more ideal for family outings and camping by car and not for backpacking.
Which One Should You Get?
If you are camping in the spring or summer, a more ideal choice would be the Vango Harmony Double Sleeping Bag. It is not too warm but not too cold as well, just right for those milder days. There is plenty of room in this sleeping bag. It also has a seamless envelope design, so you can easily get in or out of it.
If we were to have only one pick for the best double sleeping bag, we’d have to say that the Vango Harmony is our top contender for its coziness and auto-lock zip. If we were to have only one pick for the best double sleeping bag, we’d have to say that the Vango Harmony is our top contender for its coziness and auto-lock zip.
For those who like to camp out even in the autumn or winter where the weather tends to get chilly, the Andes Alma 400 Double Sleeping Bag can provide the comfort and warmth that you need.
For backpackers, get the Coleman Durango Unisex Outdoor Sleeping Bag. This is a lightweight sleeping bag, so you shouldn’t have issues carrying it around.
For more extreme weather conditions, get the Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag. It is more ideal for campers who spend their time outdoors in the cold winter season.
Buying Guide for Double Sleeping Bags
Listed below are key features that you must consider before buying a double sleeping bag.
- Lining. Get the ones with nylon, polyester, flannel and cotton. These are the materials that can provide superior comfort.
- Outer shell. It should have nylon ripstop and dry loft so that it won’t tear easily.
- Zips. Check out how many zips there are and whether they are positioned right or left. Find out if there is a zip cover and a zip baffle present.
- Hood. This feature might come handy in protecting your head.
- Draft Collar. This should be placed around neck and shoulders to prevent heat loss.
- Inner Pockets. This added feature is ideal for storing your valuables.
- Compression sac. This can help in reducing the size of the bag while repacking storing.
- Insulation. The outdoor tends to become very cold and hence the double sleeping bag should be ideal for the temperature, have sufficient insulation. Check if they have insulation tubes running along the zipper and above the shoulders to prevent heat from escaping.
- Weight. Check the weight. Make sure it is not too cumbersome to carry around. It must also be compact and small to fit into your backpack. Most bags have the size marked as regular, long or XL. These bags always have hoods.
- Large and Roomy: The bag should have a lot of space for the partners to sleep comfortably side by side without restricting each other’s movement while asleep.
What to Do Next?
Make sure you are armed with the right camping supplies that you need to stay comfortable while outdoors. Do check out our homepage for more ideas on what camping gears and supplies to buy.