Which camping activity do most people enjoy? If you are like most people, the activity you look forward to the most when out camping is grilling food. Nothing says family activity quite like enjoying grilled food. This is why camping grills are indispensable if you are an avid fan of outdoor family activities.
This article will help you find the right camping grills suitable for your outdoor cooking needs. We checked the best camping grills out there based from their portability, ease-of-use, durability, technology and price. Read on to find out which camping grills are worth buying.
What Makes Camping Grills Different?
Because camping limits the number of things you should bring with you, camping grills are designed to be more portable and compact. They don’t take up a lot of space. Some can even be disassembled with ease or folded down to a smaller size.
Camping grills tend to be easier to use as well. They can be set up in mere seconds. You can choose from either gas-operated camping grills or charcoal ones. If you have an electrical source in your camping ground, you can also opt for the electrically-operated ones for convenience.
Camping grills are also equipped with more durable materials, so they can withstand some rough handling when going out to camp. These are the things that make camping grills different. However, you can still use your camping grill as a home or backyard grill.
Types of Camping Grills Out There
When on the market for camping grills, here are some of those you might find:
A lot of people are spending money for camping gas grills these days because they are generally easier to ignite. They come with an ignition system that heats up your grill fast. These grills are ideal for people who don’t like to spend that extra time firing up charcoal.
These grills make use of natural gas or propane. The portable ones come with a bottled propane or natural gas that you can easily insert in the grill. This type of grill is also easier to clean up as there are no ashes that you need to throw out. They are, however, a bit more expensive than traditional grills.
These traditional grills are still preferred by many people because of the added smoky flavor the charcoal infuse to the food. They are more difficult to fire up as you need to ignite the charcoal first and then let it turn into embers. It’s also harder to control temperature as these grills don’t come with temperature controllers. You need to babysit your charcoal grill to make sure your food doesn’t get burnt.
It’s easy to bring electric grills because you don’t have to worry about bringing canisters of propane or charcoal. If there is an electricity source in your camping site, an electric grill can be a good choice for you. The grilling surface heats up fast, so you can cook your food with ease. Electric grills are also easy to clean-up. However, once the electric mechanism gets damaged, you might no longer be able to use your grill.
These are smaller grills intended for camping and outdoor use. They can either run on charcoal or propane. Because of their size and mechanisms, these grills are easier to transport, making them a better choice for avid campers.
Best Camping Grill Reviews for 2019
Here are the camping grills we recommend:
- Campingaz Grill/Cook Plate
- La Hacienda 58106 Camping Firebowl with Grill
- Landmann Piccolino 31375 37 cm Portable Charcoal Barbecue
- Zogin Barbecue Grill
- Notebook Folding Grill
Now take a look at the individual features of these grills:
This versatile equipment is all you need to bring with you for your outdoor cooking needs. It can do multiple functions such as grilling, frying and cooking. If you do a lot of these things when cooking outdoors, this is the right grill to buy. It’s a bit more expensive than others but the price is justified considering how many uses it has.
It runs on gas. You can use CV-300 Plus or CV-470 Plus cartridges to run it. It also features a piezo ignition system, thereby eliminating the need to use a match.
- You can do multiple functions. Use this as a grill, a fryer or a stove top. You can cook a variety of foods with this grill in tow.
- There is a water compartment at the bottom of the grill. This can be used to collect fat drippings, preventing fats from dripping all over the place.
- This grill can be easily disassembled for faster clean-up.
- It heats up food fast.
- When folded down, it doesn’t occupy a large footprint. It is portable and easy to move around as well.
- It can use up a good amount of gas.
- This product is more expensive than others.
This rugged-looking outdoor grill also functions as a fire pit. If you like camping out even in cold weather conditions, this is the perfect option for you. The legs can be folded down into the grill, thereby making this easier to stow away.
It is made from steel that can resist corrosion and painted with a heat-resistant paint. Despite this, the grill is still light in weight.
- The price for this portable grill is just right. It’s not too expensive but not too cheap as well.
- It’s very well-made. It feels sturdy but isn’t too heavy to carry around.
- This grill has a nice cooking surface. You will be able to cook more food in one go.
- It comes with a mesh lid to keep all those outdoor bugs at bay.
- The legs can be folded down. You can store it at the back of your car with ease.
- It can be used as a fire pit as well, great for those colder days.
- It comes with a carry case.
- Some said the paint started chipping at the bottom of the grill.
This turquoise-colored grill is definitely a head-turner. We recommend this to people who like more stylish-looking grills that can also be showcased at home. It also comes in other attractive colors. It boasts of 37 cm of grill diameter to cook more food. The grill is chrome-plated to ensure longevity.
This grill is easy to bring with you due to its portable size and ergonomic handles. There is also a lid to keep the contents from flying out during transport.
- This is a portable grill that does its job well. It has a nice size for you to be able to grill more food.
- It comes with a lid ventilation disk and a warming rack. You also get a stainless-steel tong that is already attached to it.
- The cooking grates are made from chrome-plated material, making them easier to clean and maintain.
- You can use charcoal briquettes as well.
- A lot of people also commented on how easy this is to assemble.
- Some said they had to drill a hole at the bottom for ventilation, but others said this vented out just well for them.
This metal grill is what you need to cook ample food for up to 5 people. It has a square shape that will make it easier for you to cook more food. You can maximize its cooking surface more. The design also makes this easier to carry around or fit at the back of your car. The drop-down handles don’t get in the way but makes this easier to lug around.
- This has a square shape that allows you to cook more food on its surface.
- It is an inexpensive grill that still boasts of good quality.
- The compact design makes this easier to bring with you during your camping trips.
- It is light in weight as well. You can carry it without exerting too much effort.
- Some said it become rusty after a few uses.
Get this portable grill that folds neatly in half just like a notebook, hence the name. It boasts of steel construction that has been painted with heat-resistant paint. The grates are chrome-plated for longevity. It also comes with handles for easier transport.
- It folds in half. You don’t have to worry about it taking up a lot of space.
- It can be set up easily. No need to worry about additional assembly.
- It has plenty of cooking surface, so you can cook more food without getting a bigger grill.
- You will find this an affordable choice as well.
- Some said the paint chipped away after some use.
Which One Should You Buy?
Now which of these products is the best choice for your camping needs?
For the Versatile Cook: Campingaz Grill/Cook Plate. If you prefer a grill that can also be used as a stove top or as a fryer, get this grill. It is so versatile that those who like to cook a variety of dishes when they are outdoors will find this very useful.
Can Double as a Fire Pit: La Hacienda 58106 Camping Firebowl with Grill. Do you often go camping out during colder days and you are looking for a grill that can also double as a fire bowl? Get this one. You can use this as a fire pit or place a grate on it and cook your food with ease.
Best-Looking Grill: Landmann Piccolino 31375 37 cm Portable Charcoal Barbecue. If you like your grill to look great, this is the best choice for you. It’s a great-looking grill but still offers more than adequate cooking surface and nifty grilling features.
Cheapest Choice: Zogin Barbecue Grill. For those who don’t like to spend a lot of money on an outdoor grill, get this one instead. This is inexpensive, has lightweight properties and offers a good surface space for grilling.
Most Portable Choice: Notebook Folding Grill. Get this grill if you are looking for one that won’t take up too much space and is not difficult to set up on your camping site.
How to Find the Best Camping Grill
Finding the best camping grill need not be a tedious task. Here are some buying tips that you might find useful:
Think about your needs first.
It really boils down to personal preferences. Some people like their meats suffused with smoky flavour. Others just prefer the convenience that a gas grill can offer. Think about what is most important to you and list them down. That way, you can decide which grill will work best for your needs.
Look for a grill that has the size you prefer.
Size is an important factor to consider when choosing a camping grill because you won’t have the luxury of space when bringing it with you. It should be portable enough that it won’t take up all the space at the back of your car. If it can be folded down or disassembled, all the better.
Check the mechanisms that make the grill easier to bring for camping.
Look for grills that aren’t difficult to use. Find out what mechanisms make the grill easier to use. Look for additional features such as a drip tray for easier clean-up, easy-to-clean grates and a large grilling surface.
Make sure it can withstand harsh weather and constant transport.
Outdoor life is subject to temperature and weather changes. Your grill should not be susceptible to corrosion and should also boast of water-proofing features. It should also have solid construction and parts, so they don’t get damaged during transport.
What to Do Next?
By now, you should already have an idea which grill to choose. Let us help you out even further by suggesting more camping gear and equipment that will ensure your comfort and convenience while you are outdoors. Check out our homepage for more camping gear reviews and buying tips.