People who camp outdoors are the ones who would know the importance of a lightweight sleeping bag. Many people carry a huge pile of comforters for camping but carrying such volume is not only tedious but also ridiculous. While all the other items required for camping serve various purpose, the main purpose of a sleeping bag is to provide comfort.
Choosing a sleeping bag requires some amount of knowledge as there are various types of bags that are designed for different purposes. But, in general, any sleeping bag should provide the warmth and comfort but should also be manageable in terms of size and weight.
When it comes to camping, you would want to choose those that have lightweight features, so they are not burdensome, especially since this isn’t the only camping gear you will be bringing with you. That said, we searched for the best lightweight sleeping bags today that you can invest your money on and found those that are truly light in weight but still have the capabilities of providing comfort while you are outdoors.
Why Should You Get a Lightweight Sleeping Bag for Camping?
Camping, especially recreational camping was first popularized in UK on the banks of river Thames. Back then, camping equipment were heavy. It required a lot of muscle and strength to haul them from one place to another. But with the evolving technology, all materials required for camping and outdoor activities have become more compact.
You should definitely choose a lightweight sleeping bag so it’s easier to get to your destination on foot. It won’t tire your shoulders out and won’t be such a hassle packing and unpacking it.
Best Lightweight Sleeping Bags Reviews
Here are the lightweight sleeping bags we recommend getting:
- KingCamp Trek 300 Camping Hiking
- Terra Hiker Ultra Lightweight Sleeping Bag
- Scout Creations Jungle Slumber Mummy Sleeping Bag
- KeenFlex Mummy Sleeping Bag
Let’s take a look at the features of these products:
The KingCamp Trek 300 Camping Hiking 3-4 Season 400GSM lightweight sleeping bag is one of the cheapest options today. It is comfortable, durable and not very heavy. It keeps the user warm even in a damp environment. The style of this sleeping bag is mummy type which then gives extra protection to the head, shoulders and neck. It has an anti-static build-up and is easy to compress. The material is of high quality and offers all the comfort required for camping. It also comes with a carry bag for lugging convenience.
- Lightweight and takes up only small space. You can easily compress this product for easier transport.
- High quality material but cheap in price. It can last you for many more years. The outer material boasts of 190T polyester material, so it doesn’t rip or snag easily. The lining is also made from 100% polyester.
- Easy access of zip. You can get in and out of this sleeping bag with ease.
- It is very cozy because of its mummy style. It is ideal to use for cold weather conditions. The comfort rating is +6C with a limit of +2C and has an extreme temperature of -13C.
- Some didn’t like how narrow the base is. It constricted leg movement and might feel a little claustrophobic.
This is one of the lightest sleeping bags around with only 1.65 lbs of weight. It is the best if you are looking for a sleeping bag for backpacking or if you simply don’t want your sleeping bag to be hefty. It also rolls and folds down to a small size with a compact height of merely 7.48 inches.
You can rely on this during intense weather conditions as it has a comfort temperature rating of 8C to up to -15C, ideal even when camping out during colder days. The dual side zipper design is also a nifty feature because you can open or close it on both sides of the sleeping bag easily. The zippers don’t snag.
- It is truly a lightweight bag. It even has a small footprint so it can be easily stashed in your bag.
- It has a good comfort and extreme temperature rating. Whether you are camping in the summer or the fall season, you will feel comfortable using this.
- The inside of the sleeping bag is made from cotton that feels a lot like silk. That can elevate your comfort and also seal in the warmth. It also helps prevent moisture from the outside from seeping on the inside.
- The fabric is completely breathable, thereby preventing any form of condensation.
- The length is substantial, so even taller people can use this without a problem.
- The price is affordable and shouldn’t break the bank.
- There were some issues about the lining slipping and clinging to the body. But for the price, many people still think this is the best.
Stay warm while outdoors in this sleeping bag. It is advertised as a 3-4 season sleeping bag that boasts of lightweight properties. What is great about this is that it comes with a durable compression to ensure that this sleeping bag folds down to a small size for easier transport.
It has water-proof functions. The inside stays dry and comfortable. It also boasts of breathable fabric materials so there are no threats of condensation. The materials used are also some of the most durable as they don’t snag or rip easily.
- This sleeping bag is lightweight. You can easily pack it down after using it.
- It is a warm bag. It has a comfort temperature rating of +10 to -10C. The interior material of this product is water-resistant, so you can stay warm and dry. It also boasts of breathability for good ventilation inside the sleeping bag.
- You will like the high-quality outer fabric that prevents tears and snags. Even if you subject it to some rough handling, it can stay resistant to damages.
- You can choose from different sizes. If someone smaller will use it, get the 190 cm one. For taller people, the 210cm one should be more ideal.
- It comes with internal pockets as well that you can use to store your valuables.
- Might not be the most ideal for extremely low temperatures although it is advertised as a 4 season sleeping bag.
This product is one of the best when it comes to its lightweight properties. It is very easy to carry due to its lightweight, but it is convenient to pack as well since it has a compression bag that will allow you to reduce the size to 60% of its original footprint to ensure it will not be difficult to carry around.
This is an all-weather sleeping bag. It is capable of withstanding harsh weather conditions. It is heavy-duty as well and has the ability to provide warmth in -5C to +15C temperature conditions.
- It truly provides warmth during colder seasons. It feels luxurious and cozy.
- It easily folds down to a small size, thanks to its compression bag.
- The ergonomic functions are great. You won’t feel discomfort and there are these anti-snag zippers that can make getting in and out of this sleeping bag a breeze. You also have pockets inside the bag to store your important things.
- It has water-proof functions. Water beads on its surface, preventing it from seeping in.
- There were just some issues about this being too tight. If you are on the slimmer side, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Which One Should You Choose?
If you are looking for a sleeping bag that will surely provide you with the warmth you are looking for and keep you snug and cosy, the KingCamp Trek 300 Camping Hiking is a good option. It works even in harsh weather conditions and has lightweight properties, great for trekking.
The Terra Hiker Ultra Lightweight Sleeping Bag is a more ideal choice for taller people or those who are looking for extra room in their legs. It has a small footprint when packed and boasts of lightweight properties.
If you like more flexibility, the Scout Creations Jungle Slumber Mummy Sleeping Bag can be a good option. It is ideal for families who might be looking for a sleeping bag that comes in different sizes.
The KeenFlex Mummy Sleeping Bag is an ideal choice for anyone with a medium build. It provides superior warmth and comfort, making this a great choice for different seasons. If you are looking for an all-season sleeping bag that won’t break the bank, make sure you get this one.
What You Need to Know When Choosing a Warm Sleeping Bag
When deciding which sleeping bag to get, make sure you keep the following factors in mind first:
Season. When buying a lightweight sleeping bag UK, it is important to consider what seasons the bag is most ideal to use for. Not all sleeping bags are designed for all outside conditions. Some bags can only be used for one season, which means they won’t be able to provide you with the comfort and warmth you might need during those colder seasons. Which one you should get will depend on your needs and preferences. If you go camping a lot and you often get subjected to cold outdoor weather, a 3-4 season sleeping bag is the most ideal for you.
Comfort and Extreme Temperature Rating. Compare sleeping bags when it comes to comfort and extreme temperature ratings. This will tell you a lot about how capable the sleeping bag is in providing the comfort and warmth you might need. Look for a good extreme temperature rating if you go out a lot during the cold winter months.
There are so many general-purpose sleeping bags available in the market that can be used during the warmer months of the year. But the warmest lightweight sleeping bags are usually sought by people who are planning to spend a large amount of time in Winter and by mountaineers. These kinds of sleeping bags are usually selected based on the Temperature Ranges mentioned.
Insulation Material. The other aspect for choosing a lightweight sleeping bag is the type of insulation material used. There are two types of materials used – down and synthetic. Down is the best material as it would last for a longer time and provides the necessary warmth than the synthetic ones. But the advantage of synthetic insulation is that it keeps the user dry. Decide which of these materials would be more suitable for your specific needs.
Fabric. Check the fabric material. This will let you know whether it is capable of wicking moisture or allowing air to circulate better. Go for those tear-resistant fabrics that can prevent the sleeping bag from getting damaged when sitting on rocks and hard ground. Also make sure it is a breathable material that prevents condensation from building up inside the sleeping bag.
Lightweight. The products above are some of the most lightweight sleeping bags around. However, you would still want to compare them stringently to know what to get. Lightweight sleeping bags can also be chosen based on the different shapes available – Rectangle, Mummy, Semi-Rectangular, Bed-style, Quilt and Integrated Bags and Pads. They are also available specifically for women and kids. For instance, some mummy sleeping bags might be lighter than the rectangular ones.
Easy to Pack. Another thing to consider is whether the product is easy to roll or fold down. The last thing you would want after spending time outdoors is to grapple with your sleeping bag because it is just a chore to fold down. Those with compression bags are good because they help fold down the sleeping bags to their smallest size.
What to Do Next?
Have you decided which one to get? Make sure you click on the product links to learn more about the individual features of the products recommended. You can also head to our homepage to learn more tips on how to buy camping gear. We also have a lot of recommendations on what camping essentials to invest your money on.