Outdoor watches are becoming a staple in many outdoor activities such as hiking, walking and trekking. Innovation has paved the way for the incorporation of more features in outdoor watches. They don’t just tell the time anymore. They also provide information that can come handy when you are outdoors or when you are keeping track of your performance.
If you are on the lookout for the best outdoor watches, you came to the right place. We sought out to find the best ones out there based from their features, durability, weather-proof features, technology and comfort.
Some Features You Can Find in Outdoor Watches
Like what was mentioned earlier, these watches do not just tell time. They do a plethora of functions as well. These are some of the features you can find in today’s outdoor watches:
When doing outdoor activities, it is important that you are always updated with weather conditions. You don’t want to get stranded in bad weather conditions. You can always check your phone for updates but if you are in a remote place with no internet signal, you can rely on your watch’s barometer to help you predict weather conditions.
A barometer shows information such as atmospheric pressure. This will tell you if there are sudden changes to the atmospheric pressure that can then lead to sudden thunderstorms. Some watches are even equipped with an alarm if it detects a drop in atmospheric pressure.
This has long been used for easier navigation. When you are out there in the woods, it’s important to have a handy watch that tells you where you are. The more modern watches today have 3-axis compass that provides accuracy.
There are now watches integrated with GPS systems. You can rely on these to let you know where you are. You can get real-time information on things like location. If you are following a trial, the GPS can also help guide you in which trails to follow based on your preferences. Best of all, your activities are recorded, so you can keep track of your performance.
Heart Rate Monitor
Some watches can be connected to a heart rate band or belt that you wear near your heart. This can help in keeping track of your heart rate, which can tell you more about your condition and your performance while hiking or walking. People with heart conditions can also use these watches to monitor their heart condition and to ensure that they won’t overexert themselves.
Some watches are so advanced that they have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity features.
Benefits of Getting Outdoor Watches
Why should you buy an outdoor watch with all the bells and whistles? Why not just get a regular watch? Here are the benefits that an upscale outdoor watch can offer:
1. It helps you stay organized.
It’s easier to keep track of your performance when you have an outdoor watch. There are outdoor watches that will be able to record your performance. You can use that information to determine which areas you need to work on and how else you can improve your performance.
2. It helps you keep track of your location.
With the GPS functions or compass features of an outdoor watch, you won’t easily get lost. Even when you are out walking or hiking alone, you can rely on your watch to tell you where you are. And since many GPS watches can also be stored in a cloud computing device, other people can also keep track of your whereabouts in case you get lost.
3. It helps you prepare for unexpected weather changes.
With the barometer integrated in these watches, it’s easier to check if there are going to be unexpected thunderstorms that are not in the weather forecast. You can use this information to put yourself out of harm’s way.
4. It can help you monitor your health.
The watches equipped with a heart rate monitor can check the condition of your heart. If you think your heart rate is going way up, you can slow down and let your heart beat to the recommended level.
5. It dispenses the need to bring more gadgets.
These watches are designed to substitute different kinds of gadgets. Instead of bringing a separate barometer, just get a watch with this feature. Instead of bringing your heart rate monitor, choose these watches instead.
Best Outdoor Watches Reviews
After checking out the market for outdoor watches, here are the ones we highly recommend:
- Suunto Traverse Alpha GPS Outdoor Watch
- Garmin Fenix 5 GPS
- DTNO.I Smart Sports Watch
- Ezon Waterproof Hiking Outdoor Watch
Take a closer look at the features of these watches:
All the bells and whistles in watches can be found in this premium watch. You will always find your way, thanks to its POI navigation system complete with route and tracking systems. It features a breadcrumb to show you exactly where you are. It also boasts of a GPS tracking system, a storm warning system, barometric altimeter, calorie counter and pace counter.
- It has a rugged design that will match seamlessly with your outdoor wardrobe.
- Quality for this watch is unmatched. You can tell that it is well-built. It is able to withstand some abuse as well.
- The battery life is quite impressive even despite having a GPS system integrated in it.
- The straps are big enough to prevent the watch from slipping.
- The GPS system, according to the users is very accurate.
- It is comfortable to wear even for extended periods of time.
- The screen is easy to look at.
- Some said the crystal at the face can be reflective and can make it harder to see the information on it.
Made from stainless steel bezel material, this watch is as durable and good-looking. It has a GPS system and GLONASS EXO antenna built into it to provide you with accurate readings of location. The lens is coated with an anti-glare coating for easier readings no matter how bright it is outdoors. It also features Bluetooth connectivity, so you can transfer your data effortlessly to your computer.
This is the watch to go for if you are looking for smart features. You can get Connect IQ app support and notifications using this watch. It also features interchangeable bands, so you can customize to your heart’s content. It comes in a smartwatch mode with a battery life that can last for up to 2 weeks.
- It has a lot of smart features that provide you with notifications and gives accurate information such as the status of your training. It also has nifty features like a recovery advisor, great for those who are training.
- The battery life in smartwatch mode is long. In GPS mode, it can last for as long as 24 hours. It also has a battery saver mode.
- The anti-glare coating is a nice touch. This makes it easier to check your information and status.
- Ideal for all types of sports.
- Some said the vibration feature is almost imperceptible. It can be hard to notice when you are very active.
Trust on this outdoor watch to keep track of your activity all day. It will measure details such as calories torched, distance covered, and steps taken. The heart rate monitor accurately reads for as long as 16 hours. It even monitors and analyses your sleep pattern, which can help you make adjustments to your lifestyle.
This watch also features a built-in GPS system, a thermometer, barometer and altimeter. You can also get alerts on calls and messages from your phone and notifications on your social media accounts.
- It has all the features you need in a smartwatch.
- You can use this to monitor your heart rate and sleep.
- You can connect it to your phone and get alerts from your social media accounts.
- The battery life is long.
- It has a sensor. Just raise your hand and the screen will wake up after being idle.
- The numbers of the screen are big and easy to spot even in dim lighting conditions.
- Some said the had difficult syncing it with their other applications.
The rugged outdoors requires a watch that can resist wear and tear. This is a great candidate for that. It has properties that make this resistant to wear, tear and shocks. The silicon straps make this super comfortable to wear, even for daily use.
It features an altimeter, barometer and thermometer. You don’t have to worry about rain as well because this watch is IP67 waterproof.
- This is a high-quality watch that will last you for a long time.
- The waterproof functions are superior and reliable. It can be submerged to up to 50 meters.
- Battery life is quite long. With the usual functions, it can last for as long as 12 months.
- This comes with a warranty.
- There aren’t a lot of negative reviews about this product.
Which One Should You Choose?
Now, which of these products is the best choice for your needs?
Best Quality: Suunto Traverse Alpha GPS Outdoor Watch. It’s hard to top the features of this watch. You can get nearly everything you need to ensure that you are prepared for the outdoor life. All those features are integrated in a watch that is durable and made from high-quality materials.
Smart Features: Garmin Fenix 5 GPS. If you are looking for a feature-packed watch, get this one. It provides all the details that an athlete might need. It is suitable for all types of athletes and gives fairly accurate results.
Health Ally: DTNO.I Smart Sports Watch. Monitor your health with this watch that is capable of checking your sleep pattern and your heart rate. Easily sync your phone applications with this watch as well and be notified when there are new updates with your applications.
Affordable Choice: Ezon Waterproof Hiking Outdoor Watch. No need to break the bank if you can get an outdoor watch that still has impressive features without being too hard on the budget. This is a good choice for people who are on a tight budget and who are just looking for a reliable watch that isn’t too complicated.
Tips in Buying the Best Outdoor Watches
It is only right that you search high and low for the best outdoor watches out there. These can be a bit pricey, so make sure you are getting one that will last you for a long time. Here are some tips to consider:
1. Know your options out there.
It’s hard to know what you want if you don’t know what is being offered out there. Try browsing different outdoor watches and check their various features and see which ones work best for your needs.
2. Decide on the features you want in a watch.
You don’t need to have everything. You just need to buy a watch with the features that will really be of use to you.
3. Make sure it has a good size that will fit your wrists.
Is the strap just right or is it too thick? Does it feel clunky? If it is too thick and too clunky, the watch might feel cumbersome to use.
4. It should be lightweight and easy to use.
You don’t want the watch to weigh a ton, not when you are carrying a heavy pack when backpacking or hiking or not when you are already tired from running.
5. Check how well it can hold up against bad weather.
It should have weatherproofing features to ensure that it will not die down when exposed to rain or humidity.
What to Do Next?
Now that you know all these, it’s time to find other outdoor equipment and gears to add to your arsenal. Whether you are looking for good outdoor walking boots or camping gears, we can show you which products to choose in our homepage.