A good rucksack is a loyal companion for all your travels across the globe or even on overnight camping trips. It carries all the essential stuff you need for your trip away from home right from sports gear, laptop, clothes, food and anything else deemed important by you.
A 40-litre rucksack is probably one of the most used and highly adaptable rucksacks used today. According to several 40-litre rucksack reviews UK, this backpack is used by adults and school children alike because of its multifaceted uses. These bags suit almost all kinds of travel needs.
They are large enough to carry almost all your gear and yet small enough to be taken as a carry on bag on most airlines. They can be easily stowed in the seat in front or put in overhead compartments. That’s not all. Several seasoned backpackers claim that the bag can actually accommodate more than its said capacity of 40-litres.
The best 40-litre backpacks are all ergonomically designed, have compression straps and well-designed internal and external pockets to help you organize and store your stuff. When you wear a good 40L backpack, you worry less about the safety of your gear and focus more on the experience and the beauty of nature around.
Use this article as a guide to help you find the best 40L backpacks for your specific needs.
Why Should You Choose a 40L Backpack?
According to 40-litre rucksack customer reviews, the backpacks with 40-litre capacity are most ideal for school goers, short overnight trips and hiking tours. They believe the 40L rucksack can be taken along for grocery shopping as comfortably as on an overnight trip. It is also very convenient to wear, especially when doing strenuous tasks like running. This is according to some fitness-conscious users.
It is compact, spacious but not overly large and doesn’t hinder any activity. In fact, there are a few customers who have successfully taken 40L rucksacks for two-week-long trips and swear that the bag could accommodate all their essentials.
If you are a camping enthusiast, make sure you add this to your arsenal so you can stash all the things you need for outdoor living.
Best 40L Backpack Reviews
We searched high and low for the best backpacks with a 40L capacity out there and here are the ones that stood out from the rest:
- Mountaintop 40L Hiking Backpack
- Lowe Alpine Men’s Airzone Pro Backpack
- Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack
- G4Free 40L Ultra Lightweight Backpack
- Mr. Journey Hiking Backpack
Here are more things you need to know about these products:
If you are looking for an ideal 40L hiking backpack, then the Mountaintop 40L Hiking Daypack/Camping backpack might be the solution you are looking for. It is the perfect size for those embarking on a fascinating experience of hiking for the first time. It has 6 adjustable straps which facilitate carrying your additional gear like a sleeping bag, mat, hammock, tripod and other related stuff fairly easily. Substantial padding on the shoulder straps and back ensure the shoulders are not sore from long hours of wearing the backpack while also creating space for air circulation in the back. There are also numerous pockets to help you organize your stuff.
- Ergonomically designed bag that doesn’t strain the shoulders and back
- Can be used as a carry on bag on airplanes
- Hydration bladder compatible.
- There are 6 adjustable straps, great for customization and flexibility
- It is durable. It can withstand rugged use.
- It has water-resistant materials.<
- The back panel has a good ventilation system, thereby preventing excessive sweating.
- Shoulder straps not suited for broad-shouldered people
- Not the best stitching.
This backpack is specifically created for outdoor enthusiasts who want nothing than a backpack they can rely on for heavy uses. It has the innovative Airzone Centro back system which keeps you cool, preventing heat build-up on your back as you climb mountains or traverse camping grounds. It also adjusts according to your back, giving more comfort to users. The Lowe comes with several cleverly-designed pockets, which keep your stuff organized and in place.
- Easy access to gear without removing the bag
- Breathable back system ideal for hiking and trekking
- Plenty of pockets.
- Has a nice design that people looking for a stylish bag will love.
- It is comparatively light in weight as air moves between the back and the bag.
- It has an expandable feature, so you can carry more when needed.
- Some complained about sweating around the waist bag when worn for long periods of time.
If you are an ardent Osprey loyalist, then you will like this Osprey Farpoint 40 as it is a lightweight backpack that is ideally suited as a carry on back. This is one of the best Osprey 40-litre rucksack that confirms to the EU carry on dimensions. It can be packed like a suitcase and the internal compression straps keep all stuff in place. There is a place for everything in this backpack.
- It opens like a suitcase
- Numerous pockets to make organizing easy
- The back straps can be comfortably tucked inside.
- It has a unisex design, great for both men and women.
- It doesn’t feel bulky and cumbersome to carry because of the slim profile.
- The shoulders are padded, providing you with the comfort you need for all those longer trips.
- If the bag is stuffed, the front pockets become practically useless.
- The water bottle compartments are not that easy to access
- Can be a little pricey.
This is one of the most affordable bags you can get today for camping or backpacking. It boasts of having 420D nylon fabric material that doesn’t succumb to wear and tear easily. It is a bag you can use for a long time. The straps and zippers are well-made and unlikely to get damaged easily as well.
With only 450g of weight, this is a lightweight backpack that won’t strain your back. It also folds to a small size. When not in use, simply fold it down and find a small spot for it.
- Has a nice design that most people will find ideal.
- It is easy to carry because of its lightweight design.
- It can be used as a daypack as well.
- It comes with all the features needed in a backpack such as zipped pouches, bottle holders and padded straps.
- It is well-made and seems to withstand a lot of abuse.
- It is an affordable option.
- Some wished this bag is waterproof.
This is a roomy backpack that will let you fit all your camping essentials without a problem. Made from high-quality terylene oxford lawn material, you can be assured that this product will last for a long time and won’t succumb to tears and strain easily. The stress points are made stronger with the help of a bar tacking.
This backpack offers unique S-shaped shoulder straps that is adequately filled with padding.
This design ensures you won’t suffer from strain while using it.
- This is a good quality backpack that can fit a lot of stuff. It is roomy inside.
- The materials are sturdy and works well even when subjected to a lot of abuse.
- It is one of the most comfortable bags out there. The straps don’t strain the shoulders.
- It has plenty of pockets, great for storing more things inside and ideal for keeping your things properly organized.
- This is a versatile bag. It can also be turned into a handbag, shoulder bag and even a suitcase.
- Some said the hip support needs some improvement.
Which One Should You Get?
Serious backpackers can get the Mountaintop 40L Hiking Backpack. It has a solid look and build that can last for a long time and can pack a lot of camping essentials. The price is ideal even if you are on a budget. It is neither too pricey nor too cheap.
The Lowe Alpine Men’s Airzone Pro Backpack is a bit more expensive but for more serious backpackers or campers, this might be the best choice for you. It keeps the back sweat-free as air moves freely around, thanks to its innovative mesh technology.
The Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack is great for both men and women so if you are looking for a nice design of bag that you and your partner can share, this can be a good choice. It has a lot of great features including a slim profile that makes this so easy to carry.
The G4Free 40L Ultra Lightweight Backpack is the most affordable one in this list but it definitely isn’t lacking in impressive features. It can be relied on for its size and durability. However, it might not be ideal if you are going somewhere near water or not ideal to use when it is raining as it is not waterproof.
Go for the Mr. Journey Hiking Backpack if you are looking for a more comfortable backpack that offers a lot of compartments. It is an affordable choice as well so it shouldn’t be too difficult to acquire.
What to Look For in a 40L Backpack?
When choosing the best 40L backpack for your personal needs, here are a few points to go over:
The prices of backpacks vary depending on the material used, the kind of framework, hydration system, back support and any additional features. The best 40-litre backpack normally ranges from around 35 pounds to over 200 pounds apiece. Some really high-end backpacks even cost over 300 pounds.
The durability of a 40L rucksack depends on the materials used, craftsmanship and construction. Nylon, polyester, canvas and leather are some of the materials used for backpacks. These fabrics differ when it comes to durability and waterproof functions. Aside from materials, also check the stitching, the quality of the zippers used and the lining to ensure that you are using a durable backpack.
For backpacks designed for outdoor use, Cordura nylon is by far the most durable, the most lightweight, and the most abrasion-resistant material commonly used. The other variants of nylon commonly used are nylon coated with polyurethane and ripstop nylon – both of which are water resistant and durable. Polyester is commonly used as well for its UV resistant.
How you handle your backpack can also affect its durability. By nature, most people tend to over pack and overstuff their bags. As a result, many bags designed for a 40L capacity will be carrying 50L or even more. Even the best of bags can bog down to that kind of pressure. At the end of the day, it still depends on how you use the bag.
With the quest to make backpacks lighter and more functional and efficient, each edition of backpacks is coming out with additional features. Some of the backpack 40-litre additional features include ventilated back panels to improve air circulation and avoid sweaty backs. Here, the back panels are covered in mesh and have air channels to allow movement of air. Almost all backpacks are designed ergonomically to provide greater comfort.
The additional features also include several internal and external pockets and attachments for hiking poles, ice axes etc. Nowadays most of the 40-litre backpacks are hydration compatible where the system’s mouthpiece is on the shoulder strap for convenience.
Look for additional features that are innovative, have greater functionality and durability. These features ensure that you are organized, and your gear is protected. Make sure these features make access to the things you have inside easier.
What to Do Next?
Now that you know these, and you found the best backpacks to buy, make sure you also head to our homepage to find more recommendations on camping products such as camping chairs, tents, camping stoves and more. Read our reviews so you can be guided on which brands and products to choose.