Camping, especially with family and friends, is a very popular hobby all around the globe. If you are one of the increasing number of people trying out this activity for the first time, it is essential that you understand what you need to take with you when you go camping.
The items you take with you will, of course, depend on the type of camping you are considering. You will carry as minimum as possible if you are planning on backpacking or hiking as the long trek can be exhausting. On the other hand, if you are going to a campsite with a family, you can carry as much as you need.
Camping is never complete without food. You need to it, after all. But rather than buy pre-packaged goods that you can just readily eat, cook your food outdoors instead. You can do that with the help of a camping stove.
There are many types of stoves and other cooking appliances available in the market today. You need to understand what the various choices of stoves available to you before you make the decision on which one best suit your needs.
Camping versus Backpacking Stove – Which One Should You Buy?
One of the first decisions you need make is to decide on whether you need a “Camping Stove” or a “Backpacking Stove”. This really depends both on the size of your group and the type of camping you are undertaking.
A camping stove is recommended for those who are camping in one spot with a large group of people or for a family camping experience. Camping stoves are larger (almost the size of stoves at home) and heavier than backpacking stoves. These stoves usually have one or two burners and some even have a grill. They commonly use fuels used in these stoves are liquid gas, propane or butane. They are usually made of more durable materials like stainless steel. You can use your regular cookware as well with a camping stove.
On the other hand, backpacking stoves are recommended for those who are travelling alone or as a couple or are backpacking and have restrictions when it comes to the weight of the things they should bring. The backpacking stove is lightweight, made of materials like Titanium and Aluminum and very fuel efficient. You need to use lightweight cookware with these stoves.
Camping Stove: Propane or Liquid?
The two most common forms of fuels used in a camping stove are liquid fuels and gas fuels. The different liquid fuels are Methylated Spirits, Coleman fuel, Paraffin and Kerosene. The different types of gas fuels are propane and butane with propane being the preferred of the two. The gas fuels are maintained at a pressure in the container.
The liquid fuel has the advantage of are that they can be used to the last drop which is unlike a gas cylinder which loses power as it loses pressure and it pretty much becomes useless as soon as the pressure falls below a certain value. It also ignites instantly.
It is also not impacted by variance in temperature and pressure, which means it will burn equally well in cold climate as it does in a hot climate; on top of the mountain as on the seaside. This is not true for a gas-based fuel because when the altitude rises, the pressure outside drops and so the heat output of the gas-based fuel is lower at high altitude areas like on a mountain.
Liquid fuels are also more easily available all over the world. On the other hand, gas fuels are easier to control and can be stored even after half of the container has been used. It is also safer and can be stored for a longer period of time.
Best Camping Stove Reviews
Here are the best camping stoves you should buy:
- Campingaz Camping Chef Stove and Grill
- Yellowstone Outdoor Double Burner
- Lixada Camping Gas Stove
- Yellowstone Portable Gas Stove
- TOMSHOO Camping Stove
Let’s find out more about what these camping stoves have to offer:
One of the important features that you need to consider while buying a camping stove is an automatic ignition system like the piezo ignition system, which is available in the Campingaz Camping Chef Stove and Grill with Clips and Tubing. This ignition system not only reduces the need to carry matches and lighters, it also helps you to save fuel as it ignites as soon as the stove is turned on. It comes with its own packing case and can be folded and put away easily.
You can get your outdoor cooking done faster with its 2 burner system. One burner can last for as long as 8 hours. There is also a radiant grill, which you can use to cook more food such as toast.
- This camping stove really gets a lot of cooking done. Most cookware can be used on this burner.
- It has a grilling function. It is easy to ignite and you won’t find yourself covered in soot or smoke.
- There is a radiant grill for extra cooking needs. You can use it to toast bread.
- Suitable for bigger cooking needs.
- Some said the toast grill was a bit slow to function. You might need to adjust the height.
Might be a bit heavy.
- It is an expensive camping stove
With 2 high-performance stainless steel 1.8 kW burners and a 1.5kW center grill, the Yellowstone Grill and Lid Double Burner has a stainless steel cooking surface, which is extremely easy to clean and maintain. It comes in a metal box with the lid acting as a windshield. The burner has a Piezo automatic quick ignition, but the grill needs matches to light it. It is lightweight and portable, suitable for camping.
- The burners are completely adjustable.
- It looks a nice. It packs away neatly and is easy to clean as well.
- The centre grill does a great job evenly grilling your food.
- The cooking surface is made from stainless steel, so it is resistant to corrosion and makes cleaning residues a cinch.
- Your purchase includes a grill pan.
- It cooks food fast. Some said it is capable of boiling 1 liter of water in just 15 minutes.
- It is quite efficient. It doesn’t use up gas quickly.
- There is no ignite function. You will have to use matches to light it up. However, it does have control knobs to adjust its temperature and to turn it off.
This camping stove operates using a cellular furnace chamber. What this means to the user is better fuel consumption for more energy savings and enhanced power, so you can cook your food faster. It is so efficient that you can boil 1 litre of water in a record time of 2.5 minutes. Another thing customers will like about this product is its 360 degrees windproof design. It prevents wind from turning the flame off.
The stand is sturdy and easily folds to a small size for portability. It also has a box for faster and easier transport.
- It has a powerful burning capacity. You can cook your food faster with this burner.
- The windproof design protects what you are cooking when the winds are high.
- It has a compact design that is easy to store and transport.
- You will like its affordable price point.
- There is no ignition system. You need a match or a lighter to ignite it.
A single hob portable gas stove which uses CP250 liquid butane cartridges, the Yellowstone is extremely easy to use and clean. It sits low on the ground and is very sturdy. It is lightweight and comes in its own plastic case which makes it easy to take with you when you go camping. You will also love its affordable price, which is ideal for the use of solo travellers or those who only have small cooking needs.
- It is small and compact. Its portability makes this easy to lug around to camping sites.
- It has a heat control feature to make it easier to find the right heat settings for whatever you are cooking.
- The material it is made from is strong and durable.
- It comes with a carry case. There is also a locking mechanism for the canister of gas, which is a nice feature for safety.
- It is an affordable choice.
- It doesn’t come with a gas canister. You need to buy it separately.
This is a wood-burning stove that will help you get that authentic camping experience. Stainless steel material was used to manufacture this, ensuring its durable functionality even during harsh weather conditions. You can use it to cook heavier loads of food.
Even though it makes use of wood, it doesn’t produce a lot of smoke, thanks to its efficient and double-wall design. The bottom part also boasts of air vents that help in preventing smoke build-up.
- You will never run out of fuel. You can use the resources you already have in your camping site such as twigs and leaves. If you are looking for that authentic camping experience, this is a good choice for you.
- It is capable of holding a good amount of weight, so if you are cooking more food, this should serve you well.
- It is a collapsible product. You can store and pack it with ease. It is lightweight, only weighs 1 pound, great for those who might need something for backpacking.
- You can also grill with it. And with its smoke features, you get a delicious flavor to your grilled food.
- Some said it requires instructions on assembly.
Which One Should You Get?
Now which of these products is the best choice for you? We recommend the Campingaz Camping Chef Stove and Grill for those who need to cook a lot of food. If you are camping out with your family or friends, this should be a good camping stove to invest on.
The Yellowstone Outdoor Double Burner is also ideal for family use although it will still require a match to be ignited. It is less expensive than the first one, great for those who are on a budget.
Choose the Lixada Camping Gas Stove if you want something more powerful. It is ideal to use even under high wind conditions because of its wind-proofed properties.
If you are only cooking for a few people, the Yellowstone Portable Gas Stove should suit your needs. There is nothing superior or remarkable about it but it is cheap and it gets the job done.
We recommend the TOMSHOO Camping Stove if you don’t want to use fuels. You just collect campfire twigs and branches and use them to create a fire in this stove. It is efficient and doesn’t require spending more money on fuel.
What Should You Look for in a Camping Stove?
Here are a few tips you need to keep in mind when choosing a camping stove:
Fuel Type. What do you use to run it? Most modern camping stoves can be operated using a fuel canister that you can simply insert in the stove. Some make use of wood fire, which can be a traditional approach to cooking. It is ideal for those who might want a genuine outdoor experience.
Ease of Transport. Keep in mind that no matter how small and compact these stoves are, they can still take up some space in your things. Make sure you choose those that are more compact and those that are unlikely to get damaged during transport.
Wind-Proof Functions. This is an additional feature you might want to look for. It’s hard to cook when the wind frequently blows the fire you stoked. Some stoves have wind-proofing functions.
What to Do Next?
Take your camping trip to the next level and buy more gear and equipment that can make life outdoors a lot easier. Go to our homepage for more product recommendations as well as product reviews.