The last thing you would want to deal with when you are outdoors is a frostbite. When doing outdoor activities like camping and hiking, you rely so much on your feet to take you to your destination. But when your feet is subjected to cold temperature, you could end up having blisters and frostbite, which are unpleasant and sometimes even dangerous conditions.
To ensure that this problem won’t happen, go ahead and get yourself a pair or two of thermal socks. These socks are not your average socks because they are designed to keep your feet warm and comfortable while you are outdoors.
Finding the best thermal socks for extreme cold can be a challenge, especially with the knowledge that there are many different elements that need to be taken into account.
There are so many things we need to keep in mind such as price, material, comfort, thermal capability and size, to name a few.
However, not everyone can afford spending free time learning about these thermal socks and their uses. That is why we prepared for you a list of five of the most recommended products that will keep your feet warm in the coldest days. We checked out the best products out there in the market. Read on to know more about our recommendations.
Best Thermal Socks Reviews
Here are the thermal socks that are worth spending money on:
- Mod8 Arctic Cold Weather Socks
- Bridgedale Men’s WoolFusion Summit Knee Socks
- Smartwool PhD Ski Graduated Compression Light Unisex Functional Socks
- Danish Endurance Merino Wool Hiking & Trekking Socks
- KOOOGear 3 Pairs Men Women Hiking Socks
Find out more about these products:
Mod8 Arctic Cold Weather Socks
These socks are considered to be the warmest socks for extreme cold. Why? It’s all because of its materials. This is made from sheep wool, which is considered to be one of the warmest materials. This also ensures a perfect fit because of the nifty addition of lycra and nylon. Double thickness on the area of heels and toes increase comfort, making it much more durable. This product is also affordable. If you are stocking up for your winter vacation or outdoor camping trip, you won’t break the bank with this.
- One of the most inexpensive thermal socks out there
- Warm in extreme conditions
- Has a great fit
- The toes and heels are reinforced so it doesn’t get unevenly worn out.
- Needs to be hand washed
Some said the smell straight out of the package is awful and might need to be washed or aired out.
Bridgedale Men’s WoolFusion Summit Knee Socks
For those looking for a longer pair of socks that has a thermal capability, this is a good choice. The manufacturer has effectively combined wool as a natural material with synthetic ones, giving us very warm, yet natural socks that won’t lose its thermal characteristics. In addition to that, this also boasts of a double-density pad that guarantees increased comfort underfoot. It is an ideal choice for hiking and for winter expeditions.
Smartwool PhD Ski Graduated Compression Light Unisex Functional Socks
This is easily the best thermal socks because of how effectively they keep the feet warm even during extreme temperature conditions. They offer us 4 level elite fit technology, which basically provides you tight wear and sports-like functions. In addition to that, most of its composition is Merino Wool, the best type of wool available on the market. It can be cleaned in the washer but make sure you give it some care and attention, so it will last for a long time.
- Ideal for extreme cold sports
- Can be washed in a washing machine
- Has a good grip
- Very comfortable
- There are ventilation zones that prevent sweating
- Can get a little expensive
- Some said it wore out faster than they expected
- Sport type: Camping & Hiking
- Indestructawool technology for enhanced durability
- 4 degree elite fit system for a Dialled, performance-oriented fit
- Body-mapped mesh zones for Added breathability
- Virtually Seamless toe For enhanced comfort
- 8.5" Overall height
Danish Endurance Merino Wool Hiking & Trekking Socks
This product has a reliable merino wool blend that ensures durability and strength. You can use your socks repeatedly and not worry about rapid wear and tear. This can be used even in the coldest winter days as it effectively keeps the feet warm. You also stay dry, thanks to its ability to keep moisture at bay.
What makes this unique is its design that has been recommended by a former navy seal. That means you get a pair of socks that will provide you with the best comfort and support when doing high-intensity activities like hiking or trekking.
- These socks are durable. They are made from high quality materials that can last for a long time.
- The support and comfort they provide are unparalleled. You can stay longer on your feet because of this product.
- It truly keeps the feet warm and comfortable.
- It has anti-bacterial properties, which prevent it from getting smelly easily.
- Has a 100% money back guarantee
- Some said the opening of the socks are too tight for them.
- MERINO WOOL FOR COMFORTABLE & DRY FEET: The high quality merino wool of our light hiking socks have natural cooling, heating and antibacterial properties that keep your feet warm in the winter and fresh in the summer. Ventilation mesh lanes optimize the airflow and wick away moisture. The targeted padding reduces the risk of getting blisters …
KOOOGear 3 Pairs Men Women Hiking Socks
These socks are all-seasons, but they should adequately provide you with comfort even during the colder months. They can protect your feet from blisters and may even work in strengthening your feet. It doesn’t slip, and it keeps moisture at bay. It also dries quickly as the material is breathable.
- This is a great product to buy if you are looking for versatile socks that will not just serve you well in the winter.
- It provides a good amount of comfort when doing outdoor activities.
- The size and length are just right.
- You get 100% money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, send your item back within 30 days and you get a full refund.
- It is an affordable choice.
- Some said the heel part wear out faster.
- FEATURE: The Outdoor Sports Running Hiking Ankle Crew Socks Set of Men's are Great for all Seasons, with Smart Classical Ergonomics Design, High-Density Knitting Fibers, Elastic Ventilation Mesh, Full Fluffy Terry Inside, Stretchable Feet Arch Support Compression Band and Thicken Thermal Seamless Buffer/Balance Pressure Padded Cushion, Breathable, Warm, Comfy and Durable, Perfect Fit Hiking Boots or Daily Footwear Shoes, Ideal Presents for You, Your Family and Hiker Friends; …
Best Thermal Socks Buying Guide
When it comes to choosing the right thermal socks that you should invest your money on, here are some of the things you need to take into account:
Why Should You Use Thermal Socks?
Thermal socks are a must-have if you live in cold places or you frequently travel to places with extreme winter conditions. Most thermal socks are made from wool. They are better than their cotton counterparts because they have more effective insulation properties. They seal the heat in whereas cotton socks tend to lose heat produced by the body.
These socks are also capable of wicking moisture away. Cotton socks tend to absorb moisture and this moisture can freeze up or become cold in the winter, which can cause frostbites.
You would also want to use thermal socks for a variety of purposes such as hiking, skiing, snowboarding or camping because these socks do not get smelly easily. Since moisture and excess sweat do not get absorbed, they can remain fresh-smelling for a long time, thereby preventing you from bringing too many pairs of socks. You also don’t have to wash too many socks when you are up in the slopes or when you are at the mountains.
Get thermal socks if you want to keep your feet protected from the cold and you want to experience the above-mentioned benefits.
Which One Should You Choose?
If you are on a tight budget, go for the Mod8 Arctic Cold Weather Socks. It is an inexpensive option, but it surely isn’t lacking in features that will protect your feet from the cold. It also lasts for a long time because of its reinforced features.
For those who want knee-high socks, the Bridgedale Men’s WoolFusion Summit Knee Socks should be a great option for you. These are not the cheapest but you are getting value for your money with its ability to keep cold at bay.
The Smartwool PhD Ski Graduated Compression Light Unisex Functional Socks is a more ideal choice for those who tend to get cold feet a lot or those who trek to colder mountains.
If you are looking for socks that will help you perform better when it comes to trekking and hiking while still keeping your feet warm and dry, you will love the Danish Endurance Merino Wool Hiking & Trekking Socks. Its design was approved by a navy seal, a testament to how it can help your feet.
Go for the KOOOGear 3 Pairs Men Women Hiking Socks if you are looking for something more versatile. This can be used as a regular pair of socks as well. But for those colder months, it can still work well. It is also affordable and can last for a long time.
Things to Consider
While choosing the right socks, we should keep in mind that extreme cold socks can come in angle, crew, or knee-high length. Of course, we can look for shorter, but that wouldn’t make sense if you want thermal socks for extreme cold. Crew socks and knee-high sock are still your unbeatable options.
This is a crucial part when choosing the right socks for your needs. You see, the right fabric does not only keep you warm but also provide you with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which is very important when we wish to use these socks in a more demanding environment. Other fabrics are also responsible for making your socks elastic. Thanks to that, they are guaranteed to keep their shape and hold on to your feet with no problems.
Choose materials that have breathable functions as well. You don’t want moisture to accumulate on your feet. If it has breathable materials, it can dry up quickly.
Standard sheep wool, Merino wool, or PrimaLoft are great fabrics that can provide us with all the warmth we really desire. Nevertheless, without the addition of synthetic material, they might not be as durable as we think. A product that includes synthetic material might be a better option if you want your socks to last longer. Additionally, this combination of natural and synthetic material might make it easier to keep the socks clean. They can be cleaned in the washing machine as well.
When on the lookout for a good pair of thermal socks, take price into consideration. There are actually a lot of affordable options out there. However, you don’t want to throw your money away by choosing thermal socks that are cheap but wear out fast. Even if it is cheap, if it acquires holes and rips easily, it’s still not a good. Find a good balance between price and quality. Don’t compromise on the latter or you will end up regretting your buying decision.
Some thermal socks are more ideal for snowboarding or skiing, but others are better for camping or hiking. When you are getting those for snowboarding or skiing, choose those that would be compatible with your boots. If the socks are too thick, you might not get the right boot fit. And when it comes to these sports, perfect fitting of boots is crucial.
For camping and hiking purposes, see to it that you are buying those products that can support the feet. Since you will do a lot of walking while carrying a heavy load, a good pair of socks that adhere perfectly to the shape of your feet and can provide ample support would be more ideal.
Keep your feet warm and toasty with the best thermal socks on the market today – overall, we’d recommend the Danish Endurance socks for their outstanding warmth and colorful look.
What to Do Next?
Have you decided on which thermal socks to get? Make sure you click the links of the products you prefer. Don’t forget to check out our homepage as well for more recommendations on camping or outdoor products. Get some ideas on which camping stove, camping chair, sleeping bags and tents to get so you can camp outdoors comfortably.