You need to find the right fit when it comes to boots for walking because wearing ill-fitting ones can cause a lot of discomforts and can even inflict injuries. Your performance in hiking or trekking may also be compromised if you use boots that do not have a good fit. When hiking or trekking in cold weather conditions, spaces and gaps in your boots can cause cold air to seep in, thereby causing frostbites.
There are plenty of boots for walking and outdoor purposes out there. You will never run out of choices, However, having wider feet can restrict your walking boots options. We are here to help you find the ones suitable for your type of feet. We checked the market for some of the best walking boots for people with wider feet. Find out below what products were deemed the best.
Different Types of Boots
There are a number of types and styles of boots for you to choose from. Here are some details on the different types of boots that will help you come to a better decision:
Hiking Shoes – Planning for a short hike or backpacking trip? These shoes could be just right with their mid to high-cut models. They are suitable only for short trips with light loads because of the lack of extensive support and durability, which is a requirement for long treks/hikes.
Backpacking Boots– If you are planning to go on longer treks or hikes that can go on for days and will require you to carry heavier loads, then these boots could be a good choice. This model has a high cut that fits around your ankle, thereby giving good support that’s needed for such long trips. The midsoles are stiffer, and the shoes are more durable and lighter, thus making it very comfortable during those times when you will be on your feet for extended periods of time.
Best Walking Boots for Wide Feet Reviews
Here are the boots you should get:
- KEEN Men’s Targhee Ii Mid Wp High Rise Hiking Boots
- Lowa Boots Men’s Renegade GTX M Hiking
- Merrell Men’s Moab Mid Waterproofing Hiking Boots
- Salomon Women’s X Ultra Mid 2 GTX High Rise Hiking Boots
- Berghaus Women’s Expeditor AQ Waterproof Ridge Walking Boots
Now let’s find out more about the individual features of these products:
These waterproof hiking boots are specifically designed for men with wide feet. They are designed in such a way that the wearer does not need much time to break in the boots and can comfortably use it for both walking and hiking. Aside from being a perfect choice for people with wider feet, this pair of boots also boasts of waterproof materials, making this ideal for trekking on muddy roads or pools of water. The membranes are completely breathable, thereby allowing excellent ventilation inside. You will like the lugs, which are multi-direction, which can actually help you get a better grip even on unstable grounds.
- Made of nubuck leather, these boots offer class and style for the wearer in addition to supreme comfort
- The waterproof, breathable membrane ensures your feet don’t get wet or sweat too much when worn for a long period of time
- The leather on the outside makes the boots sturdy and long lasting
- The mesh inner material allows your feet to breathe
- The gum rubber soles offer very good grip that enables you to walk on uneven terrains
- Being high rise, may not be convenient for those who like some room around their ankles to move them around freely
Looking for a comfortable midrise hiking boots for your wide feet? These could simply be one of the best hiking boots for wide feet the market has to offer. Made of leather on the outside and a PU monowrap frame midsole, these boots can offer your feet a good support when you are hiking or walking on uneven terrains. You are ready to take on any climate with this pair of boots because the inside boasts of Gore-Tex and mesh lining that works in different external conditions.
- The leather on the outside offers the boots the style and durability one may expect from such boots
- The inner material is manmade, making it very comfortable and breathable. This prevents feet from sweating badly
- The midsole material offers sturdiness and durability
- The gum rubber soles ensure better grip and safety while trekking off course or on hikes
- The lack of heel may cause aches for some. Without an arch, footwear can be uncomfortable when used for a long period of time.
- The full leather material does not provide any room for breathing or ventilation, which may cause your feet to heat up while using them extensively
These boots that are designed for men, can be used in any weather condition. Whether it is too warm or wet outside, these boots can ensure comfort. The boots are designed for light hiking and walking. It should provide enough support for a lot of outdoor activities, without restricting the movement of your ankles.
- The footbeds can be removed any time you want. This makes it very convenient and comfortable as you can insert the beds while using the boots for a long period of time
- Your toes are well protected by the synthetic leather toe bumpers
- The compression moulded soles not only offer durability but also provide good support and cushioning for the feet
- The AEGIS antimicrobial technology used to treat the linings will help keep the odor at bay
- These boots are not waterproof; hence they won’t keep your feet dry at all times
- The soles tend to split away from the shoes on the upper sole
- The shoes do not have enough ventilation to help your feet breathe
If you have been looking for the best women’s light hiking boots for wide feet, these boots could be your answer. Made of synthetic materials on the outside and textile on the inside, these boots provide the durability you are looking for in a pair of outdoor shoes. They are pocket-friendly and lightweight. These could very well be the extra wide walking boots you are looking for.
- The reshaped toe bumper could be the answer to your hiking shoes wide toe search
- The mudguard protects the shoes from dirt and keeps them clean longer
- The gusseted tongue, unlike the mesh ones, keep the dirt and dust at bay
- The advanced chassis feature offers better comfort and support when used on rough terrains
- The midrise aesthetic offers good ankle support for light trekking and walking
- The textile lining on the inside prevents any abrasion and dries your feet quickly
- The protective heel cap ensures the safety of your heel and offers more stability. These could easily be the best boots for overpronation
- The lack of mesh on top reduces the ventilation in your feet
- The flat heel model may not be very comfortable for many when used for a long period of time
These rugged looking boots made of leather on the outside and manmade material on the inside can be both comfortable and stylish for women. They can be worn all day and used for a number of activities as they are durable and sturdy.
- The full grain leather exterior offers enough support and durability
- The AQ waterproof lining keeps your feet dry in all conditions
- The outer sole is designed for stability and can be used on different terrains
- They are very light on your feet
- Though it is designed for wide feet, the fit is narrow according to some
- You may have to buy a bigger size if you plan to use them with thick socks.
Which One Should You Get?
You can’t go wrong with the KEEN Men’s Targhee Ii Mid Wp High Rise Hiking Boots. It’s your best option when it comes to effectively improving your performance while walking no matter what the terrain is. It’s perfect for hiking even during rainy days because it has waterproof features.
The Lowa Boots Men’s Renegade GTX M Hiking is a stylish choice that truly works great in helping you traverse those difficult roads without issues. The exterior is made from leather, so if you are looking for one that has this material, consider this.
If you are only going to do some light hiking, your best bet might be the Merrell Men’s Moab Mid Waterproofing Hiking Boots. It should be sturdy enough for such a job but can provide a good amount of comfort as well.
Women can go for the Salomon Women’s X Ultra Mid 2 GTX High Rise Hiking Boots for their light hiking needs. It should serve you well without being too complicated. The features are just right for women who likes outdoor living.
The Berghaus Women’s Expeditor AQ Waterproof Ridge Walking Boots is a more affordable boots choice for women. It is still comfortable and stylish and can provide you with all the comfort you need for walking.
Tips in Choosing the Right Walking Boots
Here are some tips to pick the best walking boots for wide feet.
Weight – One of the first considerations to be made when you select boots is the weight. When they are too heavy, it makes it difficult for you to walk long distances or hike. One may not notice it initially, but as you cover more distance, the weight will start wearing you down.
Material – Like with any other pair of shoes, you need to choose the material for your boots carefully. Boots are not used for casual purposes; hence a flimsy or light material will not suffice. The material must be thick and sturdy so that it does not tear easily. There are various materials used in the making of boots. Here is a brief guide on all of the commonly used materials.
- Full grain leather – This material offers very good durability and is highly abrasion-resistant
- Split-grain leather – This material is paired with nylon and nylon mesh which brings down the weight of the boots
- Nubuck leather – This is a full grain leather that has been buffed up to look like suede
- Synthetics – Synthetic leathers such as polyester and nylon are used. These are lighter both on your pocket and feet
- Waterproof membrane – The upper part is made from waterproof membrane to keep the feet dry
- Vegan – Even boots have vegan options
- Insulation – Some synthetic insulation is added to keep the feet warm
Waterproof – Boots are made for rough uses. One cannot afford to have their feet soaking wet when they are trekking or hiking. That said, look for boots made from waterproof material.
Insulation – Proper insulation ensures your feet don’t sweat too much and increase the heat when they are used extensively. When you are walking long distances or are hiking, if your feet start heating up, it will increase the temperature of your body, which makes it difficult to carry on with your activity.
Soles – Check the soles for the grip. Different shoes and boots have different soles. Choose a sole with enough grooves for better grip and superior traction. This ensures you do not slip and fall while walking on or climbing smooth or slippery surfaces. The wider the lugs are placed, the better is the traction offered.
Midsoles – This part is what determines the stiffness of the boots and protects the feet from shock and injury. Though stiff boots may seem uncomfortable when you are going for a trek or a hike, you need good support that will prevent your feet from getting injured or ankles from twisting.
Shanks – These are 3-5mm thick. They are inserted between the midsole and the outsole for added firmness and support.
What to Do Next?
Go ahead and click the links of the boots you want to purchase. We also recommend visiting our homepage for more ideas on what camping gear and essentials to buy. We have different recommendations for products such as camping stoves, sleeping gear, tents, camping heaters and even portable toilets.